Mosul (IraqiNews.com) Number of residents displaced from Nineveh Province have reached 500,000 persons, since operations launched in October 2016, according to the Iraqi government.
The Iraqi Ministry of Migration and Displacement said in a statement on Saturday “number of the displaced residents from some regions in Nineveh exceeded 500,000 persons, including 320,000 people from Western Mosul. The residents were distributed among camps located in south and east of Mosul.”
“98,444 refugees were distributed among Erbil camps of al-Khazer, Hassan Sham and Jamkour as well as Debaga Camp in the Makhmour area near Mosul,” Minister Jassem al-Jaff said. “180,407 residents were provided shelter at camps of al-Jadaa, al-Haj Ali, al-Madraj and Hamam al-Alil. Duhok camps of al-Narkezliya and Qaymawa include15,511 persons.”
The minister indicated efforts made to provide the displaced people with shelter, food and medicine.
Earlier this month, the ministry estimated the number of people displaced from the western side of Mosul at 281,000 civilians since operations were launched in February
Last week, the United Nations said that more than 320,000 were displaced since the Iraqi forces, backed by a U.S.-led coalition, launched the offensive in October to retake Mosul from Islamic State. The number increased by 18,000 persons from Mosul last week.
More than 400.000 were displaced due to the conflict in Mosul since operations were launched in October. Over four million persons were displaced inside the country since emergence of IS in 2014.