Airstrike leaves 20 civilians under debris in western Mosul: Activist

Debris of houses detonated by the Islamic State in Mosul.


Mosul (IraqiNews.com) An airstrike launched by the U.S.-led coalition on Sunday left 20 civilians under debris of a house in western Mosul, Anadolu agency quoted an activist as saying.

“Fighter jet, believed to be for the international coalition, launched airstrike against a two-storey building in al-Borsa region, which is adjacent to the Old City. The house was destroyed with 20 civilians, including women and children, inside,” Luqman Omar al-Ta’iy.

“Our information indicated presence of victims among the besieged civilians, who were all relatives living in one house,” the activist said. “Several similar accidents took place over the past few weeks in western Mosul, without being reported in local or foreign media. Dozens of besieged civilians were killed and injured.”

Meanwhile, Lt.Gen. Ghazwan al-Leheiby said, “troops from the 71st and 75th brigades, supported by the army’s 15th armored division of are following the Islamic State militants in western Mosul regions.”

“The 71st brigade besieges the militants from three sides between al-Shekheira and al-Lazaka villages located between Badush and Tal Afar towns in west of Mosul, while the 75th brigade are clashing with the group remnants in the vicinity of al-Atshana and Ebteisha villages,” he added.

Earlier on Saturday, the Iraqi government forces recaptured Zanjili district in western Mosul, leaving only one district of al-Shifa in Islamic State’ grip before reaching its strategic stronghold in the Old City neighborhood.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *