Nineveh (IraqiNews.com) Iraq will start the reconstruction of an historic minaret blown up by Islamic State militants next week, a municipal official was quoted saying on Wednesday.
Speaking to state-owned al-Sabah newspaper, Bashar al-Kiki, chairman of the Nineveh Province Council, said “works for the reconstruction of the (Hadbaa) minaret will start next week by specialized engineering teams and
“A delegation from UNESCO visited the minaret’s site last week, and reviewed the most outstanding needs (for its reconstruction), and with the supervision of professors from Mosul University”, Kiki added.
“It will hopefully be restored to its previous condition within less than three months, according to the engineering teams,” al-Kiki told the newspaper.
Islamic State militants blew up the medieval structure in June when Iraqi forces became closer to the recapture of Mosul, sparking condemnation from world heritage agencies.
The minaret was part of the Grand Nuri Mosque, the place where Islamic State supreme leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, declared the establishment of the group’s rule over Iraq and Syria in 2014.
Iraqi troops proclaimed a full recapture of Mosul in July, and a total victory over IS in Iraqi last month.