Nineveh (IraqiNews.com) Nineveh provincial council has denied finishing 50 percent of the rehabilitation works in the western side of Mosul, saying that reconstruction had not started yet, but just removal of the rubble.
In remarks on Tuesday, Mohamed Ibrahim, member of the council, said, “talks about reconstructing 50 percent the western flank of the city are totally untrue.”
“Only 40 percent of electricity distribution and water networks are rehabilitated in western Mosul, in addition to opening of some schools,” he added. “The reconstruction works have not started yet, but only removal of debris.”
Ibrahim noted that “the reconstruction of Mosul requires a lot of money as well as long time.”
On Monday, Federal Police Chief Lt. Gen. Shaker Jawdat said police forces finished 50 percent of their works to rehabilitate war-scarred areas of western Mosul. Refugees have been repatriated from camps to their living areas in addition to reopening of schools and bridges.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi declared in July victory over IS militants who had held the second largest Iraqi city since 2014. More than 25,000 Islamic State militants were killed throughout the campaign. Earlier this month, Abadi announced full liberation of Iraqi lands, declaring end of war against IS members.
Iraqi forces, backed by a U.S.-led coalition and paramilitary troops, have been fighting since October 2016 to retake territories Islamic State had occupied.