in

Three people, including conscript, killed in armed attack, north Baghdad

Masked men while carrying out an armed attack. File photo.


Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Three people, including a military conscript, were killed in an armed attack, north of Baghdad, a security source said on Tuesday.

“Unidentified gunmen opened fire against three persons, including a military conscript in al-Shaab region, north of Baghdad,” the source told Alghad Press.

“The victims were taken to forensic medicine department,” the source added.

According to the monthly release by the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), a total of 69 civilians, excluding police personnel, were killed, while 142 others were wounded in December due to acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict across the country.

The worst affected province was Baghdad with 122 civilian casualties (24 killed, 98 injured). Salahuddin ranked the second place, with 7 killed and 25 injured, then Kirkuk came third with 15 killed and 6 injured.

The figures saw a significant decline from November’s which reached a total of 117 Iraqi civilians killed and another 264 injured.

3298 civilians were killed and 4781 others were wounded in 2017, excluding Anbar civilian casualty figures for November and December, which are not available, the report added.
Last month, Abadi announced full liberation of Iraqi lands, declaring end of war against IS members.

Thousands of IS militants as well as Iraqi civilians were killed since the government campaign, backed by paramilitary troops and the coalition, was launched in October 2016 to fight the militant group.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sources: Iraq records 4 bird flu deaths in Mosul city

Owner of construction company killed in car bomb blast in Baghdad