Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) More than 15000 refugees have been repatriated at their home regions in Nineveh in two days, according to a statement by the Migration and Displacement Ministry on Wednesday.
Ali Abbas Jahakir, a senior official at the ministry’s provincial departments’ circle, said in press statements that 15.277 people were returned back home in eastern and western Mosul besides other regions in Nineveh province over the past two days. He added that many of the neighborhoods where basic services were restored have seen their residents returning.
Earlier this month, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq, Lise Grande, said “More than 5.4 million civilians have been displaced in Iraq since 2014.”
Iraqi authorities had unveiled plans to repatriate all refugees before this year’s end. The government will soon launch an offensive to retake Islamic State’s last holdouts in Iraq at western Anbar. A campaign backed by a U.S.-led coalition and paramilitary troops had managed to retake major group bastions, most notably Mosul, the group’s former capital.
Local and international rights agencies have repeatedly highlighted poor living conditions at Islamic State-held areas. IS militants had regularly executed civilians attempting to flee their havens. Officials have also occasionally pointed out that refugees were reluctant to return home due to the severe damage to infrastructure.