Anbar (Iraqinews.com) – Iraqi army forces detonated on Sunday 16 explosive charges and destroyed three terrorist hotbeds in Anbar province as security campaigns against Islamic State continue nationwide.
Speaking to Alsumaria News, Spokesman for the Iraqi Security Media Council Brig. Gen. Yehia Rasool said that troops of Samarra Operations Command also found a locally-made bomb and arrested a wanted criminal in al-Ishaqi district in Salahuddin province.
Moreover, the troops destroyed a mud-built house and found a home-made bomb in Qarah Tabbah district in Diyala province.
Iraqi authorities regularly announce the capture of Islamic State extremists in different parts in the country since the collapse of the group’s territorial influence in the country last year.
Iraq declared the collapse of Islamic State’s territorial influence earlier in November with the recapture of Rawa, a city on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, which was the group’s last bastion in Iraq.
In a speech during the international media conference held at the journalists syndicate in Baghdad on Saturday, December 9, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced the end of war against Islamic State after Iraqi troops gained full control on the Iraqi-Syrian borders.
“Our battle against the enemy, who wanted to destroy our civilization, is over. Thus, we gained victory through our unity and determination that made us defeat IS at a short time,” he said.
The Islamic State group appeared on the international scene in 2014 when it seized large swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria, declaring the establishment of an Islamic “caliphate” from Mosul city.