in

Over 200 Syrian Islamic State families flee Mayadin toward Anbar


Displaced families in Iraq. File photo.

Anbar (IraqiNews.com) More than 200 Syrian Islamic State families accessed western Anbar after the Syrian army invaded al-Mayadin city, eastern Syria, a source from Anbar said on Sunday.

Speaking to Alghad Press, the source said, “more than 200 Syrian IS families coming from Mayadin, where confrontations take place between the militant group and the Syrian army, accessed Qaim.”

The militant group, according to the source, “evacuated many houses in al-Rommana and al-Obeidi regions as well as al-Zalla village in Qaim.”

On Saturday, 46 IS militants were reportedly killed in three airstrikes carried out by Iraqi jets in Qaim.

Anbar’s western towns of Qaim and Rawa have been held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic “Caliphate”. Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them in 2015 and 2016.

Iraqi army announced the total recapture of the town of Annah, hours after recapturing neighboring Rayhana area, last month. Troops also liberated Akashat region, between Rutba town, on borders with Jordan, and Qaim, on borders with Syria.

In late September, the militant group invaded al-Tash and the 5th Kilometer regions, south and west of Ramadi. The militants reportedly took over al-Tash and al-Jamea (university) areas after invading them with 20 pickup trucks, however, troops were able to repulse the attack.



One Comment

Leave a Reply

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Sixteen IS militants killed, while troops comb tunnels in Mosul

    Mobilization leader reiterates readiness to fight for Kirkuk