Nineveh (Iraqinews.com) – At least 21 militants were killed in a military operation which was launched earlier on Tuesday to purge the southern part of Mosul from Islamic State remnants, a military official was quoted as saying.
Speaking to the London-based Al-Arab daily newspaper on Wednesday, Colonel Ahmed al-Jubouri said, “About 21 Islamic State militants were killed, and six armored vehicles were destroyed during the military operation, which was launched Tuesday to purge southern Mosul from IS remnants.”
“Joint troops from the Iraqi police and army, as well as al-Hashd al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization Forces) are taking part in the clampdown,” he said, adding that the military operation has not come to an end yet due to the geographical nature of the area and the presence of many civilian families there.
Jubouri made no remarks about the number of Iraqi troops, who were killed in the face-off with Islamic State militants.
On July 10, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced liberation of the second largest Iraqi city of Mosul from IS militants, who had captured it in 2014. More than 25,000 militants were killed throughout the campaign, which started in October 2016.
Since the city was declared free, security troops continue to comb Mosul areas for hidden IS cells. Despite the victory over IS there in the city, observers say IS is believed to constitute a security threat even after the group’s defeat at its main havens across Iraqi provinces.