in

Bomb attack wounds three Iraqi mobilization forces in Anbar

Representational photo

Anbar (IraqiNews.com) – Three members of the paramilitary Popular Mobilization Forces were wounded Monday as a bomb blast targeted their security patrol vehicle in the western Iraqi province of Anbar, a security source was quoted as saying.

Speaking to Almaalomah news website, the source said that an explosive charge left by Islamic State militants went off when a security patrol vehicle of the Popular Mobilization Forces was passing by al-Tharthar area in northern Ramadi.

“The bomb attack left three PMF members wounded,” the source said, adding that the trio were moved to a nearby hospital for treatment.

“The security forces cordoned off the blast site and started a search for any other explosives at the scene,” the source added.

Iraq declared the collapse of Islamic State’s territorial influence in November 2017 with the recapture of Rawa, a city on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, which was the group’s last bastion in Iraq.

Islamic State declared a self-styled “caliphate” in a third of Iraq and neighboring Syria in 2014. A government campaign, backed by a U.S.-led international coalition and paramilitary forces, was launched in 2016 to retake IS-held regions, managing to retake all havens, most notably the city of Mosul, the group’s previously proclaimed capital.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Iraqi mobilization forces foil plot by Islamic State to infiltrate into Baiji oil refinery

Syrian forces hand 14 French Islamic State fighters to Iraq