Mosul (IraqiNews.com) Two civilians died Friday when a leftover explosive device went off northwest of Mosul, sources told Iraqi channel Dijlah TV.
The source said the blast occurred at Soni in Sinjar region.
Meanwhile, Alghad Press said two suspected Islamic State militants were arrested in eastern Mosul while taking snaps of the region’s with their cell phones.
The website quoted Rahman al-Obaidi, a memberr of the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), saying that the pair was arrested taking photos of al-Nour district.
Iraqi government forces, backed by a U.S.-led coalition and PMFs, declared the recapture of Mosul early July, ending nearly nine months of offensives to recapture the group’s former capital.
Since the recapture of Mosul, security forces worked on clearing the city from dormant militant cells and arrested many fleeing among refugees. The group has also staged occasional attacks on security and civilians, sometimes leaving casualties.
Besides Mosul, the Iraqi military campaign has so far managed to regain control over the town of Tal Afar, west of Mosul, Kirkuk’s Hawija and Anbar’s town of Annah. Only Anbar’s Rawa and Qaim currently remain under Islamic State’s control.