Diyala (IraqiNews.com) – Two Iraqi paramilitary fighters were killed Tuesday in a bomb explosion in Diyala province, a pro-government force said.
In a press release carried by Alforat News website, the 28th brigade of the Popular Mobilization Forces said that two of its “fighters were killed when a bomb blast hit their vehicle, north of Khanaqin in Diyala.”
The two fighters were identified as Saddam Kazem Abbas and Latif Sajit, according to the statement.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Islamic State (IS) militant group, in most cases, is responsible for attacks targeting crowded areas, including markets, cafes and mosques across Iraq.
Violence in the country has surged further with the emergence of Islamic State extremist militants who proclaimed an “Islamic Caliphate” in Iraq and Syria in 2014.
The surge in violence between armed groups and government forces has resulted in over five million internally displaced persons across Iraq and left more than 11 million in need of humanitarian assistance, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.