in

Civilian killed in house bomb explosion in Anbar, says military source

Representational photo


Anbar (Iraqinews.com) – A civilian was killed on Tuesday in a house bomb explosion in Rawa city, Anbar, a military source was quoted as saying.

“A booby-trapped house exploded today afternoon at al-Qalaa district in central Rawa, 210 km west of Ramadi,” the source told Alsumaria News. “The explosion left the house’s owner dead,” the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

He added that a security force rushed to the blast site and carried the dead body to the forensic medicine department.

On Monday, a bomb planted by Islamic State inside a house in central Rawa district in Anbar exploded once a six-strong family entered it following a long period of displacement.

“The explosion left two of the family members dead and four others injured,” according to a security source with the Anbar Operations Command.

Iraq declared the collapse of Islamic State’s territorial influence earlier in November with the recapture of Rawa, a city on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, which was the group’s last bastion in Iraq.

Islamic State declared a self-styled “caliphate” in a third of Iraq and neighboring Syria in 2014. A government campaign, backed by a U.S.-led international coalition and paramilitary forces, was launched in 2016 to retake IS-held regions, managing to retake all havens, most notably the city of Mosul, the group’s previously proclaimed capital.

In December, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared final victory over Islamic State three years after the militant group captured about a third of Iraq’s territory.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Iraqi militia: Lebanese arrest order for commander “politicized”

Source: Yazidi mass graves discovered in Mosul exceed 70