Nineveh (IraqiNews.com) There are only six districts left to announce full Iraqi security control over the eastern section of Mosul, the army’s Counter Terrorism Service said Tuesday, noting that 50 ISIS militants were killed in operations over the past few days.
CTS commander Abdul Wahab al-Saedi said in statements that his forces had so far recaptured 32 districts from ISIS since operations to retake the city launched in October, adding that troops were advancing in three other neighborhoods. “Our forces have managed to liberate significant and critical parts of the eastern shore of Mosul, and there are only six districts left before announcing the eastern section fully free from ISIS.”
CTS troops are now less than two kilometers from the eastern shore of the Tigris River, Saedi unveiled, adding that US-led air forces continue to bomb the extremist group’s remaining locations in the east.
“Operation ‘We Are Coming, Nineveh’ will soon see the opening of new fronts as part of new strategies prepared by the Joint Operations Command. They will paralyze ISIS’s most vital weapon in Mosul: civilians held as human shields,” Saedi stated
Sami al-Aridy, another senior CTS commander, said in statements that 50 ISIS militants were killed during operations that led to the recapture of eastern Mosul’s district of al-Falah two days ago.