Nineveh (IraqiNews.com) A curfew was imposed in four districts in Mosul city, Nineveh, in search of criminals, a security source said on Tuesday.
“Federal police cordoned off the districts of al-Matahen, al-Yarmouk, al- Tenek and al-Yabsat and prevented residents from entering or leaving the districts,” the source, who preferred to remain unnamed, told Shafaq News.
Police forces launched a manhunt for criminals, who are wanted on terror charges, the source said, adding that the Iraqi Air Forces are taking part in the security campaign.
On Sunday, Iraqi troops confiscated huge amounts of weapons of Islamic State southwest of Mosul, a security source from Nineveh said.
“The weapons are estimated at 40 tons,” the source told Alghad Press. “The weapons were found buried under the ground in Ain al-Jahsh region southwest of Mosul.”
Despite declaring victory over Islamic State in Mosul, the group’s former bastion in Iraq, observers say IS terrorists are believed to constitute a security threat even after its defeat at its main havens across Iraqi provinces.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared, in July, victory over IS militants who had held the second largest Iraqi city since 2014. More than 25,000 militants were killed throughout the campaign.
Government forces, backed by paramilitary troops and the US-led international coalition, have been fighting, since October 2016, the militant group, which declared a self-styled “caliphate” from Mosul in June 2014.
The war against IS has so far displaced at least five million people. Thousands others fled towards neighboring countries including Syria, Turkey and other European countries, since IS emerged to proclaim its self-styled “caliphate”.