Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State has detained fifteen youth in western Anbar over cooperation with security services, a source was quoted saying.
Speaking to Alghad Press on Friday, the source said, “IS detained fifteen youth from cybercafes in Qaim after inspecting their cellphones.”
“IS accused the youth of cooperation with security troops,” the source said, adding that the detainees were taken to unknown destination.
Earlier on the day, the War Media Cell said the Iraqi military command urged residents in Qaim to be prepared for imminent operations to retake their region from militants. On Thursday, the Iraqi army’s elite Counter-Terrorism Service distributed flyers in Qaim urging Islamic State militants to surrender better than having the same destiny of other militants in liberated regions. It also urged people to stay away from the militants in order not to be used as human shields, and to remember their hideouts so troops could follow them after the town is liberated.
Iraqi army announced the total recapture of Annah, hours after recapturing neighboring Rayhana area, in September. Troops also liberated Akashat region, between Rutba town, on borders with Jordan, and Qaim, on borders with Syria.
Anbar’s western towns of Qaim and Rawa have been held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic “Caliphate”. Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them in 2015 and 2016.