Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Several Islamic State members were killed as Iraqi troops attacked a rest house in Anbar province, a military intelligence department said on Friday.
In a statement, the department said troops carried out a campaign as gathering information about locating a rest house with depth of six meters underground, where militants are hiding at in Hit city in Anbar.
One of the military personnel hurled hand grenades against the militants, killing many of them
Instructions, according to the statement, ordered destroying the tunnel through an airstrike, which killed the militants. “After the tunnel was destroyed, eight IS bodies were found, along with 43 bombs.”
In November, Abadi said his country has defeated Islamic State over the military level, but will declare final victory after desert areas are purged of militants. Earlier in the month, Iraqi forces recaptured Anbar’s western town of Rawa, the very last bastion under Islamic State control.
Iraqi forces, backed by a U.S.-led coalition and paramilitary troops, have been fighting since October 2016 to retake territories Islamic State had occupied.
The war against IS has displaced nearly five million people, with tens of thousands of civilians and militants killed since the launch of the offensives to recapture occupied cities.