Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State militants have fired mortar missiles on western Anbar, a security source from Anbar was quoted saying.
Speaking to AlSumaria News on Thursday, the source said “IS fired six mortar missiles, which fell on different areas in Rutba, 310 kilometers west of Ramadi.”
“No casualties occurred among civilians or security personnel,” the source, who preferred anonymity, added.
Earlier on the day, seven rockets were fired from al-Assad air base against IS locations in Qaim and Rawa towns in western Anbar.
Defense Ministry said earlier in a statement that tens of IS members were killed in airstrikes that targeted Qaim town in Western Anbar. Meanwhile, the War Media Cell said 25 militants were killed by army warplanes in western Anbar, without naming the targeted location.
On Wednesday, the U.S.-led Coalition jets reportedly shelled IS convoy, coming from Baaj desert heading toward al-Rommana region in Qaim town.
Earlier this week, the Defense Ministry’s War Media Cell said jets dropped hundreds of thousands of leaflets after midnight on Hawija as well as Qaim, Rawa, Annah and Okashat regions with news on victories by troops as well as IS defeats and threatened IS militants that they either have to surrender or die.
Fighter jets from the Iraqi army and the international coalition regularly pound IS locations in the province.
Anbar’s western towns of Anah, Qaim and Rawa are still held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic Caliphate. Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them.