Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State group imposed curfew on citizens in western Anbar regions, a security source was quoted saying.
“IS tightened measures on citizens in Qaim town, al-Ebeidi town and Okashat region. Curfew has been imposed since the morning,” the source told Baghdad Today.
“Tens of IS leaders arrived on Saturday evening to Qaim,” the source said adding that they likely “ran away from Aiyadhiya and Tal Afar.
Last week, the Defense Ministry’s War Media Cell said the air force bombarded six IS locations in Qaim, killing 94 members, including a senior security commander and a close aide to the group’s supreme leader abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Anbar’s western towns of Anah, Qaim and Rawa are still held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic Caliphate. Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them.
Fighter jets from the Iraqi army and the international coalition regularly pound IS locations in the province.
In late July, a military source was quoted saying that Lt.Gen Abdul-Amir Yarallah, commander of the Nineveh Operations, ordered to besiege IS havens in western Anbar preparing to invade them.