Kirkuk (IraqiNews.com) The Iraqi army has denied news on confrontations with gunmen in Kirkuk, saying situation under control.
Sabah al-Noaman, spokesperson for the army’s elite Counter-Terrorism Service, said, “I deny the news on confrontations between gunmen and the troops in al-Shourja region in kirkuk.”
“I’m at the headquarters of the apparatus. Our communications with the special operations command, in charge of security in Kirkuk, are ongoing. Situation is under control,” Noaman told Alghad Press.
Earlier on the day, several news reports mentioned that unidentified gunmen opened fire against a patrol of joint troops in the region, located east of Kirkuk without casualties reported among security personnel.
Violence in the country has surged further with the emergence of Islamic State Sunni extremist militants who proclaimed an “Islamic Caliphate” in Iraq and Syria in 2014.
On Sunday, two suicide attacks took place in central Kirkuk, leaving a civilian killed and 21 others wounded.
Operations were launched in late September to liberate Hawija, southwest of Kirkuk, before Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi announced freeing the town in October.
Iraqi troops managed to retake several Islamic State strongholds including Mosul and Tal Afar in Nineveh, Hawija in Kirkuk and Annah and Qaim in Anbar.