in

Iraqi command says recaptured more areas on new western Mosul front

Smoke rises during a battle with Islamic State militants in western Mosul. REUTERS/Zohra Bensemra

Mosul (IraqiNews.com) The military command leading operations against the Islamic State in western Mosul said Monday its forces had recaptured more areas on a new front taken up last week.

The Joint Operations Command said the army’s elite Counter-Terrorism Service troops took over Wadi Akab and Ghanem al-Sayyed industrial areas, hours after commanders reported earlier gains in the northwestern axis of operations primarily taken with an eye on the IS-held Old City.

Federal Police chief, Lt. Gen Shaker Jawdat, said in statements that his forces took over Shuqaq al-Haramat district, while moving forward at al-Haramat al-Thaniya, approaching Ektesadiyen and the major Islamic State stronghold district of 17 Tamuz (July 17th). Jawdat said 16 militants were killed and several combat equipment were destroyed during the offensives.

Wadi Akab, Mosul (google maps).

Iraqi commanders have reported dozens of deaths among Islamic State militants and the recapture of large parts of districts falling next to the Old City from the northwest.

Also on Monday, a spokesperson of the Interior Ministry said ministry forces had killed 3320 IS members since the offensive to retake western Mosul was launched in February. Iraqi forces recaptured eastern Mosul in January after three months of fighting.
Iraqi generals say they currently control at least 70 percent of territory in the western side of Mosul.



One Comment

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

200 displaced families return to western Baghdad district after removal of landmines

Twenty Islamic State members killed in western Anbar