Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Five suicide attackers were killed in an operation by Iraqi troops in western Anbar, a commander announced on Sunday.
“Security troops launched an operation in al-Thayei’ region, southeast of Qaim,” Maj. Gen. Qassim al-Mohammadi, commander of al-Jazeerah Operations, told AlSumaria News.
“The troops managed to kill five suicide attackers and explode a vehicle for the militants loaded with weapons,” he added.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi announced, earlier this month, full liberation of Iraqi lands, declaring end of war against IS members.
In November, Abadi said his country has defeated Islamic State over the military level, but will declare final victory after desert areas are purged of militants.
Thousands of IS militants as well as Iraqi civilians were killed since the government campaign, backed by paramilitary troops and the coalition was launched in October 2016 to fight the militant group, which declared a self-styled “caliphate” from Mosul in June 2014.
Since then, forces took back the group’s former capital, Mosul, the town of Tal Afar, Kirkuk’s Hawija, and each of Annah, Rawa and Qaim in Anbar.
The war against IS has displaced nearly five million people, with tens of thousands of civilians and militants killed since the launch of the offensives to recapture occupied cities.