in

Islamic State claims attack at its former stronghold in Iraq’s Tal Afar

Islamic State militants

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State militants have claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on at a former stronghold in western Iraq, their news outlet said.

Amaq News Agency said the group was behind the attack on the town of Tal Afar, a former group bastion which Iraq forces had recaptured in August 2017.

Iraqi security had said earlier on Tuesday that the attack left 2 people dead and 11 wounded. A booby-trapped vehicle was used to carry out the assaut, according to authorities.

Iraq recaptured all of the territories occupied by Islamic State extremists in December 2017, but the group continues to target security and civilians occasionally.

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq says 41 civilians and off-duty security personnel were killed in violence and armed conflict during the month of November.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

bashir-in-plain-sight.jpg

Sudanese president points to “mercenaries” as protests intensify

One person killed, two wounded in tribal dispute in Iraq’s Anbar