in

Mosul needs US$ eight billion for reconstruction: Official

A member of the Federal Police walks in the Old City of Mosul, Iraq July 8, 2017. REUTERS/Alaa Al-Marjani

Mosul (IraqiNews.com) An official from Nineveh province has said Mosul is need for US$ eight billion for reconstruction.

“Mosul municipality needs US$ eight billion for reconstruction of the city,” abdul Sattar al-Habbo, chief of Mosul municipality said. “The rate of destruction reached 55 percent in the eastern side of the city, compared to 80 percent in the western flank.”

“Destruction in the Old City exceeded 90 percent,” Habbo added. “These amounts of money are only for the reconstruction not for repairing bridges or the drainage system in the city.”

“The available allocations are not enough for Mosul,” Habbo said indicating lack of seriousness about supporting stability in the city.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi declared in July victory over IS militants who had held the second largest Iraqi city since 2014. More than 25,000 Islamic State militants were killed throughout the campaign.

Iraqi forces, backed by a U.S.-led coalition and paramilitary troops, have been fighting since October 2016 to retake territories Islamic State had occupied.

Last week, Abadi announced full liberation of Iraqi lands, declaring end of war against IS members. The declaration came after Lt. Gen. Abdul Amir Yarallah, commander of Upper Euphrates and Jazirah Combing Operations, announced liberation of all Iraqi lands from IS.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Five Christians wounded as Shia-led troops open fire against protesters in Nineveh

Ten Islamic State bodies found on borders between Diyala, Salahuddin: Commander