Nineveh (IraqiNews.com) An officer in the Joint Operations Command announced on Tuesday, that security forces started to storm a new area, south of Mosul, after liberating the government complex.
Colonel Khodier Saleh said in a press statement, “Joint security forces started to storm the popular area of Bab Laksh, south of Mosul.”
“Security forces is currently engaged in fierce battles with the Islamic State inside the narrow alleys in the area,” Saleh explained.
Meanwhile, Counter-Terrorism Officer, Major Ali Mohsen, said that so far the clashes in Bab Laksh resulted in the killing of 33 Islamic State militants, as well as arresting six others.
Saleh also pointed out that the security forces are opening safe havens for civilians, to facilitate their exit from the combat areas.
Earlier today, Iraqi Rapid Response forces took over the government complex in Mosul, after expelling Islamic State militants from the area.