Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Iraqi Interior Ministry, along with air force, carried out military operations targeting eight of the Islamic State’s locations in western Anbar, killing many militants there.
A statement by the ministry’s Eagles Cell on Sunday said military operations were carried out targeting eight IS locations in Qaim, west of Anbar, along with the air force.
“Tens of IS leaders were killed, including abu Qaswarah, the emir of the security detachments, abu Suraqah, deputy chief of the so-called Baghdad State, Abu Azzam al-Ferensy, in charge of Tareq bin Ziyad brigade, and Abu Ibrahim, in charge of the immigrants,” the statement said.
The airstrikes, according to the statement, “destroyed four rest houses, a weapon stash and booby-trapping workshop.”
Earlier on the day, the Defense Ministry’s War Media Cell said 25 IS militants were killed in western Anbar desert during search operations carried out near the Syrian borders.
Anbar’s western towns of Qaim and Rawa have been held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic “Caliphate”.
Iraqi army announced the total recapture of the town of Annah and neighboring Rayhana area last month. Troops also liberated Akashat region, between Rutba town, on borders with Jordan, and Qaim, on borders with Syria.
Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them in 2015 and 2016.