in

Tens of IS militants killed in liberation of last stronghold in western Anbar

Islamic State militants. File photo.

Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Tens of Islamic State militants were killed during the liberation of the group’s last stronghold in western Anbar, an official was quoted saying on Saturday.

Speaking to Russian Sputnik news agency, Na’eem al-Kaoud, head of Anbar provincial council’s security committee, said troops killed sixteen IS members on Friday during battles in Rawa.

Brig. Gen. Yehia Rasool, spokesperson for the Joint Operations Command, announced in a statement on Friday, achieving “great victory” in Rawa, stressing that advance will resume in the depth of desert toward the Syrian borders.

Iraqi Interior Minister has said that the military presence of IS is over after the liberation of Rawa in western Anbar.

The War Media Cell said operations launched on the dawn of Friday for the “liberation of Rawa”.

Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi announced, earlier this month, liberation of Qaim in record time. Troops also freed Ebeidi and Krabla regions in western Anbar.

Operations were launched, late October, to liberate Qaim and Rawa towns. Both have been held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic “Caliphate”.

According to United Nations counts, the war against IS has displaced five million people.



3 Comments

Leave a Reply

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Car bomb blast leaves 15 casualties in Idlib, regime forces shell Aleppo

    Fifteen IS militants arrested, 160 explosives confiscated in Anbar