in

Over thirty families flee Islamic State’s havens in Anbar

Families fleeing from the IS-held areas.


Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Over thirty families fled Islamic State’s havens to other places in the same province of Anbar, security sources said.

Speaking to Alghad Press on Wednesday, the source said, a convoy of 19 families, coming from Rutba, west of Anbar, arrived at Camp 18, located west of Ramadi.

The families, composed of 115 persons, were able to flee IS militants, the source, who preferred anonymity, added.

In related news, twenty other families headed toward Rutba, after escaping IS, another source from Anbar, told Alghad Press.

“More than twenty families escaped toward al-Nazera region, Rutba,” the source said,

“The families are still waiting to be checked. They were transferred to Camp 18,” the source added, giving no more details.

News reports, earlier on the day, said the militant group executed five young people in front of their families who had been caught fleeing town of Qaim, on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, towards the city of Rutba to the east.

Anbar’s western towns of Anah, Qaim and Rawa are still held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic Caliphate. Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them.

Fighter jets from the Iraqi army and the international coalition regularly pound IS locations in the province.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Central Bank of Iraq Auctions $168,556,346 on 13 September 2017

Curfew imposed in wake of family murder, north of Ramadi