Baghdad (Iraqinews.com) – About 950 displaced people have returned to their home regions in Al-Qa’im and Hit cities in Anbar province, a transport company said on Sunday.
“They all came from al-Habbaniyah and Kilo 48 camps via the company’s buses following coordination with the Ministry of Migration and Displacement,” Alghad Press quoted Chairman of the General Company for Transport of Passengers and Delegations Abduallah L. Bahedh as saying.
The company has secured 19 buses to bring the displaced people back home, he pointed out.
Earlier this month, Minister of Migration and Displacement Jassem al-Jaff announced that there are about five million internally displaced people in Iraq.
“Forty-five percent of the displaced Iraqis have already returned back home,” Jaff said in a speech during a ceremony held by his ministry two weeks ago.
Violence in the country has surged further with the emergence of Islamic State extremist militants who proclaimed an “Islamic Caliphate” in Iraq and Syria in 2014
The surge in violence between armed groups and government forces has resulted in over 3 million internally displaced persons across Iraq and left more than 11 million in need of humanitarian assistance, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
Iraqi authorities had unveiled plans to repatriate all refugees before this year’s end.
Local and international human rights agencies have repeatedly highlighted poor living conditions at refugee camps in Iraq.