in

Two people killed, three others injured in Islamic State attack, west of Anbar

Islamic State militants. File photo


Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Five civilians were killed and injured in an armed attack carried out by Islamic State militants, west of Anbar, a security source from the province said late on Sunday.

Speaking to BasNews website, the source said “armed Islamic State members sneaked through Zekheikha village, west of Ramadi, targeting the house of a senior leader from the tribal mobilization forces. Two civilians were killed, while three others were seriously wounded.”

Security troops headed to the accident spot, the source who preferred anonymity said. “All main roads were closed in search for the perpetrators.”

A total of 90 Iraqi civilians were killed, while 117 others were injured due to acts of violence and terrorism during the month of August, according to the monthly count by the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).

The worst affected province was Baghdad with 77 civilian casualties (24 killed and 53 injured.) Then comes Nineveh with 39 casualties (29 killed and 10 injured). Anbar came in the third place with 32 casualties (6 killed and 26 injured).

Last month, UNAMI said a total of 79 Iraqi civilians were killed and another 99 injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq in July 2018.

Security reports indicate that the militant group still poses threat against stability in the country. The group still has dormant cells, through which it carries out attacks, across Iraq like it used to do before 2014.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

90 people killed, 117 others injured due to violence, terrorism in August: United Nations

Eight Islamic State members arrested in operation, west of Mosul