in

Two senior officials survive bomb attack that left six people injured in Anbar

People inspect the aftermath of a suicide bombing at a soccer field in Baghdad, Iraq, March 26, 2016. (AP Photo/Karim Kadim)


Anbar (Iraqinews.com) – Head of Hit City Council Mohannad Mohamed and Member of Anbar Provincial Council Asmaa Osama Abdul Rahman have survived a bomb attack the targeted a football pitch in Anbar province, a security source was quoted as saying.

“An explosive charge placed at the exit gate of a soccer field at al-Qadisiyyah district in Hit city, Anbar, went off following a football match, leaving six people injured,” the source told Baghdad Today on Thursday.

“Mohamed and Abdul Rahaman have thankfully survived the bomb attack,” the source said, adding that a security force rushed to the blast site immediately after the attack, and carried the injured to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Iraq has seen almost daily bombings and armed attacks against security members, paramilitary troops and civilians since a wide-scale campaign was launched to retake Islamic State-occupied areas in 2016.

Baghdad declared the collapse of Islamic State’s territorial influence in the country earlier in November with the recapture of Rawa, a city on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, which was the group’s last bastion in Iraq.

Islamic State declared a self-styled “caliphate” in a third of Iraq and neighboring Syria in 2014. A government campaign, backed by a U.S.-led international coalition and paramilitary troops, was launched in 2016 to retake IS-held regions, managing to retake all havens, most notably the city of Mosul.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Three civilians wounded in western Baghdad bomb blast

Paramilitary troops kill four Islamic State members, destroy hideouts in Salahuddin