Mosul (IraqiNews.com) More than 30 Islamic State militants were killed as Iraqi troops invaded two western Mosul districts, according to the Interior Ministry’s Rapid Response forces.
“Rapid Response troops killed on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning more than 30 IS militants while invading Iqtisadiyeen and 17 Tamuz [July 17th] districts in western Mosul,” Maj. Gen. Thamer al-Husseini told Alghad Press on Wednesday.
“The troops resume their advance after raiding 17 Tamuz and Iqtisadiyeen,” he said adding that the militants attempted hindering the forces depending on booby-trapped vehicles and civilians used as human shields.
“Several houses were booby-trapped. Families were held inside. Thus, we were forced to depend on the individual combat skills,” Husseini added.
“The total number of IS members killed on Wednesday exceeded 25, most of whom were Arabs and foreigners. On Tuesday, four booby-trapped vehicles were seized, while 12 militants were killed on Iqtisadiyeen district,” Husseini added.
News reports mentioned earlier on Wednesday that IS suicide bombers attacked the forces with five booby-trapped vehicles at al-Rifaie district, in western Mosul. No information on casualties has been provided yet.
More than 16,000 IS members were killed since beginning of operations in Mosul, Brigadier General Yahya Rasool, the military spokesperson, said in a press conference on Tuesday declaring that 89.5 percent of western Mosul was liberated with only few districts remaining under the militants control.