Baghdad (Iraqinews.com) – Egypt strongly condemned on Monday a twin suicide bombing that hit central Baghdad earlier in the day, leaving dozens dead and injured.
In a statement released by Alghad Press, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry offered deep condolences to the victims’ families, as well as the Iraqi government and people, and wished the injured a speedy recovery.
“Egypt fully backs Iraq in its war against terrorism,” the statement read, adding that such terrorist attacks prove a fact that terrorism has become an international phenomenon that targets all societies.
Egypt also reiterated its commitment to “sparing no effort and coordinating with all friendly and brotherly countries to outline a comprehensive strategy to eradicate terrorism and dry up its funding resources.”
In the wee hours of Monday, a twin suicide bombing rocked al-Tayaran Square in central Baghdad, leaving 26 people dead and 95 others injured.
“There are security men among the casualties,” a security source told Baghdad Today, adding that the explosions caused severe damage to vehicles that were at the scene.
Another security source told Shafaq News that the explosions took place “after two suicide bombers wearing explosive belts blew themselves up at a crowded site near al-Tayaran Square where many construction workers were gathered.”