in

Iraqi security denies reports on burning mosque, west of Nineveh

The Imam Yahya Abul Qasim Mosque in Mosul


Nineveh (IraqiNews.com) The Nineveh Operations Command has denied news circulated by media channels over assaulting a mosque in Tal Afar town, west of Nineveh, describing this as an attempt “to ignite the sectarian strife” among Iraqis.

In a press release on Tuesday, Maj. Gen. Najm al-Jabouri, the commander, said “I absolutely deny any attack on any mosque in Tal Afar,” adding that news by media channels as untrue.

Jabouri described this as “an attempt to ignite sectarian strife after they [terrorists] were in despair and did not find a way to break the unity of Iraqis in general and people of Nineveh specifically.”

Earlier today, Cap. Amir Wathiq, of Nineveh Police, told BasNews that two mosques were burnt in Tal Afar.

“Unidentified militants set Ahl-ul Bayt mosque in al-Nedaa district and al-Talee’a mosque on fire, after looting their contents,” he added.
According to BasNews, militants set the biggest mosque in Tal Afar on fire last week.
Thousands of Islamic State militants as well as Iraqi civilians were killed since the government campaign, backed by paramilitary troops and the coalition was launched in October 2016.
The group still has dormant cells, through which it carries out attacks, across Iraq like it used to do before 2014.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Iraqi police commander killed in bomb blast in Kirkuk

UN urges Iraqi government to address protesters’ demands