Anbar (IraqiNews.com) – Four Islamic State militants were killed Sunday in an air raid that was launched by the Iraqi Air Force in Anbar province, a security source was quoted as saying.
Speaking to Almaalomah news website, the source said, “Iraqi warplanes targeted an armored vehicle carrying foodstuffs, ammunition and explosive belts of Islamic State in the desert of Ar-Rutbah district, west of Anbar.”
“The airstrike left four Islamic State terrorists killed,” the source said, adding that the operation was launched upon accurate intelligence reports.
Iraq declared the collapse of Islamic State’s territorial influence in November 2017 with the recapture of Rawa, a city on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, which was the group’s last bastion in Iraq.
IS declared a self-styled “caliphate” in a third of Iraq and neighboring Syria in 2014. A government campaign, backed by a U.S.-led international coalition and paramilitary forces, was launched in 2016 to retake IS-held regions, managing to retake all havens, most notably the city of Mosul, the group’s previously proclaimed capital.
Islamic State, however, continues to launch sporadic attacks across Iraq against troops. Security reports indicate that the militant group still poses a threat against stability in the country.