Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari has condemned the ongoing Saudi airstrikes against members of the Houthi Ansarullah movement in Yemen as “unacceptable.”
During a meeting with visiting Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Morteza Sarmadi in Baghdad on Wednesday evening, Jaafari stated that his country is strongly opposed to Riyadh’s onslaught against crisis-ridden Yemen, and considers it a duty to express such stance.
The Iraqi foreign minister further noted that Baghdad had earlier rejected the use of force in Yemen, and said military intervention by Saudi Arabia would complicate the situation.
“Iraq expresses its concern at the military intervention in Yemeni affairs, which leads to complicating the situation further,” the Iraqi Foreign Ministry said in a statement on March 26.
The statement added, “Our stance is to reject the use of force and to call on all Yemeni sides to put their differences behind through serious discussion.”
Sarmadi, for his part, stressed the need for transparent stances from world countries as well as rational initiatives in order to stop the aggression and bloodshed in Yemen.
The two senior officials also urged world countries and international organizations to honor their humanitarian commitments, and deliver medical supplies to crisis-stricken Yemenis.
Earlier on Wednesday, Iraqi Parliament speaker Salim al-Jabouri and Sarmadi voiced concerns over the critical situation in Middle East and the potential outcomes of the Saudi military strikes against Yemen. /End/