Mosul (IraqiNews.com) A commander of the Interior Ministry’s Rapid Response forces was killed on Thursday during the ongoing battles to retake remaining regions held by Islamic State in Mosul’s Old City.
A brief statement by the Rapid Response said “Cap. Hamid al-Azzawi was killed in the battles at Old City.”
A security source told Shafaq News, “Cap. Hamid Mohamed was killed, while another lieutenant general officer was injured by IS militants near al-Sarjkhana in the Old City.”
Another source said “Federal Police troops resume their advance in the last remaining 200 meters for the troops at the southern axis.”
Fierce clashes, according to the source, are ongoing at the Old City alleys. “The Counter-Terrorism Service troops are 100 meters away from Tigris River at al-Midan region,” the source said adding that IS fighters only have suicide attackers and snipers to depend on.
Meanwhile, Lieutenant General Abdul-Wahab al-Saadi of the Counter Terrorism Service (CTS), said troops killed ten suicide attackers , wearing explosive belts, while advancing through al-Midan region.
Iraqi government forces, backed by a U.S.-led coalition, have been fighting against IS fighters since mid October. The eastern side of Mosul was recaptured in January after three months of battles. Another offensive was launched in February to retake the western flank of the city. Last week, troops took over the Old City’s Nuri al-Kabir Mosque where IS first declared its self-styled “caliphate” in Iraq and Syria in 2014.