Nineveh (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State militants have reopened the Old City region in western Mosul, one day after closing it in anticipation of security forces assaults.
A local source told Alsumaria News that the extremist group lifted the cordon imposed on the area, deploying elite forces of mixed Arab and foreign fighters to make up for recent collapses in its defenses as government troops make remarkable combat gains.
The Old City area contains old souks, the city’s Grand Mosque and several government buildings.
Iraqi forces began a major assault on western Mosul on Sunday to eliminate IS militants. The government forces took over the eastern region last month after three months of battles.
Also on Tuesday, al-Hashd al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization Units) said through their media outlet they killed nine suicide bombers from the Islamic State after they waged an unsuccessful attack at Ein al-Hussan, west of the strategic IS stronghold town of Tal Afar, and at killed two others Saba al-Dujail.
Meanwhile, Alsumaria News quoted a local source saying IS imposed a curfew at three districts after the the group detected unknown armed persons divided in combat formations. The source said the group feared the groups could be security forces that sneaked into the region.