Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State carried out random arrests in western Anbar seeking compulsory recruitment, a security source from the province said.
“IS launched campaigns of random arrests in Qaim at checkpoints or even against whoever doesn’t hold an ID card,” the source told Alghad Press on Saturday.
“These campaigns seek compulsory recruitment ordered by the militant group on people at the western regions,” the source added.
Earlier this month, three brothers under the age of 15 years old were reportedly killed by the group in Qaim over refusing to join the group as well as the compulsory recruitment.
Anbar’s western towns of Anah, Qaim and Rawa are still held by the extremist group since 2014, when it occupied one third of Iraq to proclaim a self-styled Islamic Caliphate. Iraqi troops were able to return life back to normal in the biggest cities of Anbar including Fallujah, Ramadi and others after recapturing them.
In late July, a military source was quoted saying that Lt.Gen Abdul-Amir Yarallah, commander of the Nineveh Operations, ordered to besiege IS havens in western Anbar preparing to invade them.
Fighter jets from the Iraqi army and the international coalition regularly pound IS locations in the province.