Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Two Islamic State members were killed, while three rest houses were burnt in Samarra in Salahuddin province, the Iraqi Defense Ministry said on Sunday.
In a statement, the ministry said, “Samarra Operations Command, headed by Maj. Gen. Emad al-Zuhairi, resumed its duties through combing Mutaibija region as well as villages in its vicinity and Udhaim basin reaching to al-Dulu’eiya canal.
The results achieved on the second day of operations, according to the ministry, was “burning three rest houses by the Iraqi jets, killing two militants in Hawi al-Mayta region and destroying a motorbike that was used by the militants.”
Last week, the Security Media Center said four militants, including a suicide attacker, were killed in an operation in Samarra.
Thousands of militants as well as Iraqi civilians were killed since the government campaign, backed by paramilitary troops and the coalition was launched in October 2016 to fight the militant group, which declared a self-styled “caliphate” from Mosul in June 2014.
Islamic State continues to launch sporadic attacks across Iraq against troops. Security reports indicate that the militant group still poses threat against stability in the country. The group still has dormant cells, through which it carries out attacks, across Iraq like it used to do before 2014.